contact-ustwitterarrow-rightarrow-downsearchfacebookmapemailclose arrow-leftarrow-uptranslate

Main Header

School Logo

Penn Wood Primary

and Nursery School

Interactive Bar

  • Contact Us


Our SENDCo's contact details are:


Mrs Jennifer Edwards.  She can be contacted on 01753 521811.

Our Deputy Head, Mrs Joanne Shears, also holds the NASENCo qualification and can be contacted on 01753 521811. Mrs Shears strategically leads on SEND, alongside Mrs Edwards, the SENDCo. 

The Nature of Special Educational Needs:


At Penn Wood Primary and Nursery School we consider that a child has Special Educational Needs if they require special educational provision to be made for them either within or outside the school.


A child has Special Educational Needs if they:


Have significantly greater difficulties in learning than the majority of children of the same age.
Have a disability which either prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities provided, for children of the same age, in schools within the area of the Local Education Authority. 
Is under five and falls within either of the categories above, or would do if special educational provision was not made for the child.


Complaining about Special Educational Needs (SEN)


If you want to complain about Penn Wood’s SEND support, you should do it while your child is still registered with us.


This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support required by your child’s Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. There’s a different process if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an EHC Plan.


Before making a complaint, talk to our school’s special educational needs co-ordinator (SENDCo), Mrs Edwards, to try and find a solution.


If you’re not happy after talking to us at school you can make a formal complaint.


Our complaints policy is on our school’s website. We also have a SEND Information Report for Parents and this information is also detailed there.


If you do not want to make a formal complaint, Slough Local Authority may offer a ‘disagreement resolution service’ that can help resolve your disagreement about SEND support. Contact Slough Local Authority or check their website for their ‘SEND Local Offer’ for details.


If the school or local authority cannot solve the problem you can complain to the Department for Education (DfE).


They can ask the school to take action if they find your complaint was not handled correctly.


The DfE cannot normally change the decision, but they can look into how it was made and ask the school to take action where appropriate.


Dealing with Complaints


Parents/carers who are dissatisfied with the SEND procedures at Penn Wood should first see the class teacher, and then, if necessary the SENDCo or a member of the Inclusion Team. Difficulties can usually be settled informally at an early stage. However, in extremely rare circumstances it may be necessary to follow the procedure below.


1. Informal level to the class teacher then the Headteacher


2. Formal level to the governing body


3. Formal level to the Local Authority (LA)


The name of the Chair of Governors or the Director of Children's Services will be given to formal complainants, along with copies of any relevant documents explaining the complaints procedures.



Frequently Asked Questions - Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Contact Details and Useful Links